Saturday, January 3, 2009

Is it play or work?

Finally, after 7 very long weeks, I was able to make my way to the studio for a little work, or should I say play. I spent all day yesterday there trying to remember how to print my collagraph plates. And today I was there again, but this time I actually had some success, or should I say the start of some success. I am trying to print my collagraphs a little different this time. What I have done in the past was to print layers, 2 to 4 different plates, one right after another, creating one image with more depth. However, this has not been working very well lately. My images have been looking rather mushy. So instead, I am going to print one layer at a time and let the ink dry before putting another layer on. So I started 12 images today all with the same first plate but using various colors of ink. Next week I will add plate number 2 to these prints. Hopefully I will have pictures of my success soon.

2 comments:

ainesse said...

Hello Bobbi

good to see that you are making efforts with your printmaking. I have read through your blog and I appreciated your honesty or should I perhaps say sincerity. Is that image of the cock a doodle do the plate for the collagraph or the print itself ?? Look forward to seeing these prints you have started ? Sounds like you havve been pretty busy yesterday - such an amount to get done. I wish I could still do that but my physical disability and chronic pain hamper such activity quite considerably. Do make hay Bobbi while the sun shines. Maybe if you pop over to my blog it might help you to keep going. Not that I am any great shakes technically as a printmaker - although like you I love it as a medium I really do. Its quite physically demanding though.

take care

Aine

Life's Art said...

Thanks for the comment Aine. I think I recognize your name. Maybe from Inkteraction. The rooster is the image not the plate. I have several versions of it, but that is the one I like best. Unfortunately the photograph isn't the best. Give me black and white film and a darkroom I am happy, not som much with this digital stuff. I will check out your blog.

Thank you and take care.

Bobbi